Wednesday, April 28, 2010
Baked Zucchini Fries
Do you struggle to get your kids to eat their veggies every night? If so, here is a recipe for you...baked zucchini fries.
These are so tasty, the kids won't even realize they are eating something healthy! I made them with ground up panko, which gives them a delicious crunchy crust. Serve these up with ketchup, marinara sauce, ranch dressing or my son's favorite...ranch ketchup (ranch + ketchup).
Zucchini...a very versatile veggie.
Dinner was tilapia, rice and the zucchini fries.
I actually used the same Panko Parmesan topping for the tilapia and it was delish!
2 whole zucchini
2 egg whites
½ cups all- purpose flour
½ teaspoons salt
1/4 teaspoons pepper
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1½ cups Panko breadcrumbs
½ cups Parmesan cheese
Olive oil cooking spray
1. Preheat oven to 400 °.
2. In a food processor, add the Panko crumbs and grind to a finer texture. Add the salt, pepper, garlic powder and Parmesan. Process just until the ingredients are mixed together. Pour crumbs into a wide bowl.
3. Cut Zucchini into fry size pieces about 3 inches long.
4. Beat egg white with a splash of water until frothy.
5. Lightly dust zucchini with flour. Dip in beaten egg white and then coat with Panko breadcrumb mixture.
6. Place zucchini fries on an aluminum foil coated cookie sheet that has been sprayed with olive oil, careful not to crowd. Lightly spray tops of zucchini fries with the olive oil.
7. Bake for 10-12 minutes, flip and bake for another 10-12 minutes or until crispy and lightly browned.
8. Serve with your favorite dipping sauce.
Source: Chef Mommy's Kitchen