Saturday, April 3, 2010

Panko crusted fish nuggets with carrot ketchup


I'm back! It's been a bit of a crazy week.

My son was off from school for spring break, so my usual dinner prep time (while my daughter naps) became mommy-son time:) Also, my car died and I had to do some unplanned car shopping/researching. We still don't know if we are buying a new car or spending 3K+ to replace the transmission on my current vehicle...fun times...NOT!

Anyway, I made parmesan crusted tilapia, baked rice pilaf and spinach this past week. A simple, healthy, tasty meal and one I knew my daughter would not touch. She is such a picky eater and dinner time is always a struggle with her. So, I decided to make her a "kid" version of our dinner and kept my fingers crossed. Surprise, surprise... she ate it!! My husband and I could not believe it. I think this was the first time she has eaten fish. We might actually be getting somewhere ( knock on wood).

Our dinner, the "grown-up" version.


Wanna-be ballerina and all around picky eater.


INGREDIENTS

Carrot Ketchup
3 jars (4 oz each) baby-food puréed carrots
2 Tbsp light brown sugar
1 Tbsp cider vinegar
1/4 tsp salt
1 Tbsp unsalted butter

Fish Sticks
1 large egg
1/2 tsp each onion powder and salt
1/8 tsp pepper
1 1/2 lb catfish or tilapia fillets
2 cups panko bread crumbs (Japanese-style bread crumbs)
Nonstick cooking spray

PREPARATION
1. Carrot Ketchup: Combine puréed carrots, sugar, vinegar and salt in a 1-qt saucepan. Bring to a simmer over medium heat; reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, 15 to 20 minutes until thickened and reduced to about 1 cup. Stir in butter, then remove mixture to large metal bowl and place in freezer for 10 minutes to quick-chill.

2. Meanwhile, make Fish Sticks: Heat oven to 450ºF. Coat baking sheet with nonstick cooking spray, or line with parchment paper or nonstick foil.

3. Beat egg, onion powder, salt and pepper in a pie plate or shallow bowl until foamy. Halve fillets lengthwise, then crosswise (I made mine into nuggets). Place panko crumbs on a sheet of wax paper.

4. Dip fish in egg mixture, roll in crumbs to cover and place fish on baking sheet. Coat fish with nonstick cooking spray; bake 12 to 15 minutes until cooked through and browned. Serve with Carrot Ketchup.


Source: Woman's Day

1 comment:

  1. You are so creative and what a gorgeous meal! Emily loves fish sticks... I will have to try this home-made version for sure. :)

    ReplyDelete