Saturday, June 12, 2010

Fortune Cookies


I've been wanting to make fortune cookies for some time now. So, when I had chicken and vegetable stir-fry on the menu this week, I decided it was time to find a recipe and give it a try.

I looked through Tastespotting and found this recipe from Martha Stewart on several blogs. I also read over everyone's tips for making these, which was very, very helpful. The biggest tip is to only make 2 at a time (yes, it will take a while to make a complete batch). You will only have seconds with each cookie to shape, so making the entire batch all at once wouldn't work.

I wrote up cute little sayings that my son could read. Next time, I'll also include some with just a small picture for my daughter because she doesn't read yet.



The cookies continue to cool in the muffin pan which helps them keep their shape.


We loved how these cookies tasted...way better (fresher) than anything from your local take out place. However, my cookies never got completely crisp :( The center stayed a little soft. I don't think it's anything I did wrong, because I later read that others have had the same issue. I think I'll try this recipe next time. Overall, I considered these a success. We all loved them!



Ingredients
Makes about 15 cookies (this is 1/2 of the original recipe)

2.5 tablespoons unsalted butter
2 large egg whites
1/2 cup superfine sugar
1/2 cup all-purpose flour, sifted
Pinch of salt
1.5 tablespoons heavy cream
1/2 teaspoon almond extract

Directions

Heat oven to 375 degrees. Line a small baking sheet with parchment paper. Melt butter in a small saucepan over low heat; set aside.

In the bowl of an electric mixer, combine egg whites and sugar, and beat on medium speed, about 30 seconds. Add flour and salt, and beat until combined. Add butter, heavy cream, and almond extract, and beat until combined, about 30 seconds.
Pour 1 tablespoon of batter onto half of the baking sheet, and spread with the back of a spoon into a thin 3.5-inch circle; repeat on the other half of the sheet.

Bake until the outer 1/2-inch of each cookie turns golden brown and they are easy to remove from the baking sheet with a spatula (7-8 minutes).

Working quickly, remove the cookie with a spatula. Place a fortune in the middle of a cookie. To form the fortune cookie shape, fold the cookie in half, then gently pull the edges downward over the rim of a glass, or mug. Place the finished cookie in the cup of the muffin tin so that it keeps its shape. Continue with the rest of the cookies.

Source: Adapted from Martha Stewart

8 comments:

  1. Your cookies look fantastic! Putting pictures in the fortune cookies is a great idea. Kids who can't read will love it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. FUN!! They don't seem as hard as I though they would! MUST TRY SOON :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. These are so fun! I love the fortunes in them!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've never made fortune cookies before. They Look very easy to make!! I love your fortunes that you made!
    Would you mind checking out my blog? :D http://ajscookingsecrets.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. wow! they look so good:) never made them before, but would love to grab a bunch of them off your screen:)

    btw, I'm hosting a Magic Bullet giveaway on my blog and it'd be great if you could participate!

    hope to see you around:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. i cant wait to make these as part of our spring rolls dinner....they look great

    ReplyDelete
  7. great looking site ;0)

    -www.doyouknowthemuffinpan.com

    ReplyDelete