Monday, March 25, 2013

Skinny Turkey Meatballs


I thought I would start the week off by sharing this easy, tasty and super healthy recipe for turkey meatballs.

The recipe has been featured on a few diffent blogs and comes from fitness pro Jamie Eason.  You can find her HERE with a lot more recipes, nutrition and excersise advice.  Jaime makes these as "muffins" in a muffin pan, however when I tried that they got a bit stuck to the pan:(  This shouldn't be a problem in a silicone pan (which I don't have) but I just started making these as meatballs on baking sheet and have had no problems.  My only other piece of advice is not to skimp on the veggies. The turkey is so lean and doesn't have the fat to provide extra moisture so they might get a little dry.


 I love to make a batch up on the weekend and use them for my lunch throughout the week.


I usually have these with a mixed green or spinach salad.  This day I served them up with some steamed brown rice and roasted brocolli (LOOOOVE roasted veggies!!).


Ingredients:
* 2 lbs ground turkey (or chicken)
* 3 egg whites
* 1 cup quick cooking oats
* 1/2 tsp ground cumin
* 1/2 tsp dried thyme
* 2 tsp dry yellow mustard
* 2 tsp black pepper
* 2 tsp chipotle pepper spice
* 1 tsp salt
* 2 tbsp garlic powder (2 cloves minced)
* 1 small onion (finely chopped)
* 2 celery stalks (finely chopped)
* 1/2 cup mushrooms (finely chopped) optional
(I usually make half this recipe)
Directions:
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
2. Spray muffin pan with canola or olive oil or line a sheet pan with parchment or non-stick foil.
3. Mix all your ingredients together in one large bowl.
4. Roll the mixture into balls and place in muffin pan. Muffins should be about the size of a racquetball. 
5. Bake for 30-40 minutes. (I turn mine half-way during cooking if on a sheet pan)
Source:  adapted from Jamie Eason

No comments:

Post a Comment