Wednesday, November 18, 2009

Vanilla Buttercream Frosting


I'll admit it...I sometimes use box cake mix to make my cupcakes. But one thing I don't use is canned frosting. I just don't like the stuff and much prefer a simple homemade buttercream.

Here is the recipe I use.

Ingredients:

1 cup (2 sticks) of unsalted butter, softened
3 cups confectioner's sugar
1 teaspoons of vanilla extract (either regular or clear)
3-4 tablespoons of whipping cream or whole milk
1/8 teaspoon salt

Using a mixer, beat the butter until it is fluffy. Add the vanilla and salt and beat a little more. Add about a 1/4 of the sugar and cream/milk. Blend the the sugar into the butter with a spoon/spatula (this prevents powdered sugar from flying everywhere), then beat with a mixer. Continue adding the sugar and milk and mixing until the frosting is smooth. If the frosting seems too soft add a little more powdered sugar. If it seems too stiff, add a little more milk. Mix in food coloring if desired.

4 comments:

  1. Thank you for posting! And what tip do you use for that lovely cupcake in the picture?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Vanessa!

    I used a Wilton's #1 tip on these. That's my "go to" tip for cupcake frosting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Can i use skim milk instead of whole milk or whipping cream?

    ReplyDelete
  4. It's best to use cream, whole milk or half and half...but skim will work too.

    ReplyDelete