Monday, May 10, 2010

Taco Seasoning


Here is a great (and super easy) recipe for taco seasoning. It comes from Allrecipes.com with very high ratings. I like it because you know exactly what is in it and what is not....no MSG or other preservatives like you find in those envelopes of seasoning.

I store my taco seasoning in a simple spice jar. Then use as little or as much as I need with no waste.


Ingredients

1 tablespoon chili powder
1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon onion powder
1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
1/4 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 teaspoon paprika
1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
1 teaspoon sea salt
1 teaspoon black pepper

Directions

In a small bowl, mix together chili powder, garlic powder, onion powder, red pepper flakes, oregano, paprika, cumin, salt and pepper. Store in an airtight container.

Source: AllRecipes

15 comments:

  1. If you were making meat for tacos, 1pm of hamburger, how much seasoning would you use?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Jamy,

    Not sure...really depends how much spice you like. I usually go on the milder side b/c I'm cooking for a kids and honestly just eyeball it. So, maybe 1 TBSP??? I would just use your best judgment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. can't wait to try this.
    it's scary how much sodium can be in those store bought packets.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Made your Salsa Chicken today for dinner, and the family LOVED it! So flavorful, and easy to make!! Thanks! :O)

    ReplyDelete
  5. For the taco seasoning, the only thing I dont have is the onion powder, can I substitute or do I need to go buy some?

    ReplyDelete
  6. Like with the store bought packets, do you add any water to the meat and spice mixture?

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hmm...not sure exactly what you are asking, but yes, use it like a store bought packet.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Maria, I think what the earlier poster was asking is if you add water to the cooked hamburger when you put the taco seasoning in. Most store bought taco seasoning (at least where I'm from) has you cook and drain the hamburger, and then add the seasoning and 1/4 cup of water, and then you cook off the extra liquid... do you do that with your seasoning?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ohhh...yes, I see what you mean now. I think if you are using it for ground beef in tacos a little water is fine and might add extra moisture to the meat. However, I use this in a lot of other recipes and don't add any water.

      Delete
  9. I have used this for years. I don't even measure it anymore.
    I don't add water but I do wait until after I brown the meat, pour off the liquid, THEN add the seasoning.

    Why add the seasoning then pour off the liquid...the seasoning goes with it.

    ReplyDelete
  10. My family LOVES this taco seasoning .... we will never go back to store bought again

    ReplyDelete
  11. I just made this over the weekend and its awesome!!

    After the meat was mostly cooked I drained the liquid and mixed about 1/4-1/2 cup of warm water with about 1/2 tsp of corn starch and then added it to the meat with the taco seasoning. Doing this made everything really moist and it wasn't dried out the next day either. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. I made this awhile ago, but going back through my blog archives came across it again! Check it out & thanks for sharing! http://heatskitchen.blogspot.com/2012/01/homemade-taco-seasoning.html

    ReplyDelete