Tuesday, January 5, 2010

5 Healthy Lunch Ideas

The New Year is here and like so many, I am going to try to eat healthier. For me, lunch time is always a challenge. I always eat lunch after my daughter goes down for her nap (around 1:30) and by then I'm starving and don't usually have something ready to go. So many time what I make for lunch is not always the healthiest thing. Heck, it can be down right junky!! For example, last month I actually made myself a peanut butter, chocolate chip and mini marshmallow sandwich and washed it down with a diet coke...yeah, not good at all!

I decided to post these 5 healthy lunches to remind me of some better options. They only require a small bit of prep work the night before and pack well if I'm not eating at home. Please, feel free to share your favorite healthy lunches too. I need more ideas!!

#1: Turkey Roll-Ups, Melon and Apple

Make it: Mix together chopped romaine lettuce, tomatoes and ranch dressing. Place a few slices of lean turkey and the chopped veggies in a flour tortilla and roll up. Serve with melon and an apple.


#2: Tuna Salad on Whole Wheat Bread, Carrots, Celery and Tangerines

Make it: Take a 3oz can of water-packed tune (drained) and add finely chopped, onion, carrots and celery. Add 1 Tbsp. of light or low cal mayo and mix everything together. Serve on whole wheat bread with romaine lettuce. Add carrots, celery and tangerines to complete meal.


#3 Fettuccine Alfredo with Vegetables

Make it: Cook one Lean Cuisine/Smart Ones frozen fettuccine Alfredo entree in microwave according to instructions. Cook one steam-in-a-bag (such as Bird's Eye)package of mixed vegetables according to directions. Combine fettuccine and vegetables.

#4 Grilled Chicken Salad with Vinaigrette
Make it: Rinse and dry 2 cup of mixed green salad. Add chopped cucumbers, carrots,onions,tomato and a 4oz piece of sliced grilled chicken on top. Serve with a homemade oil& balsamic vinegar or bottled low-fat vinaigrette. Season with salt and pepper to taste.

#5 Soup and Salad

Make it: Heat up homemade or canned (such as Progresso)vegetable soup and serve along side a simple garden salad with homemade or bottled light vinaigrette.

No comments:

Post a Comment