Sunday, September 6, 2009

Flank Steak with Chimichurri Sauce


I've been wanting to try flank steak with chimichurri sauce for a while now. However, I don't cook steak that often and very, very rarely during the week b/c it's usually just me and the kids. However,today is Sunday and my husband was home, so I decided to give it a try. I am so glad I did...this was de-lish!!!!!

Chimichurri is a traditional Argentinian sauce that is served with steaks but also works well with chicken and fish. I looked up probably 25 different recipes for this dish (no joke) and came up with this version for myself. You could easily trade out the cilantro for fresh oregano or the red wine vinegar for lemon juice and I bet this sauce would turn out just as terrific.

Now, I originally thought that this would be a recipe I would label as "grown-up food". However, my son LOVED this dish and ate his plate clean!

Maybe it had something to do with the fact that he helped me make the sauce. I don't know...but I might just have him help me with every dish that contains a green vegetable or herb if I could get results like this again.

Everything in the blender (ignore the cluttered counter).
This pepper grinder is perfect for small hands and working on fine motor skills.


Ingredients

Flank Steak:
1 1/2 lb flank steak
1/2 tsp. sea salt
1/4 tsp. fresh cracked pepper
1/4 tsp. garlic powder
1/4 tsp. ground cumin
1/4 tsp. dried oregano

Mix all the spices together then sprinkle a bit over both sides of the steak. Once you season, place on a plate and cover with saran wrap then place in the refrigerator for a few hours.

Chimichurri Sauce:
2-3 cloves of garlic
1 cup lightly packed cilantro
1 cup packed Italian flat leaf parsley
Sea salt and freshly cracked pepper, to taste
1/4 tsp cumin
1/2 tsp crushed red pepper
1/3 cup red wine vinegar
1/2 cup olive oil

Place the cilantro, parsley, sea salt, black pepper, cumin, red wine vinegar and crushed red pepper in a food processor or blender. Pulse ingredients a few times then while it is processing, slowly add the olive oil until the mixture emulsifies. Sauce should be nice and smooth. Keep the sauce at room temperature until ready to serve.

Grill, pan fry or broil the steak to your desired degree of doneness. I like mine med-rare. Make sure to let the meat "rest" for at least 5 minutes prior to slicing. Slice steak against the grain into thin slices. Drizzle the chimichurri sauce on top and serve.

No comments:

Post a Comment