Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Chocolate Chip Pancakes


I got this recipe for chocolate chip pancakes from AllRecipes.com and made them for dinner tonight. Yes, it was that kind of night...breakfast for dinner.

I did alter the recipe slightly to try and make it a little healthier. I used half whole wheat flour and half unsweetened applesauce (in place of only oil). After cooking, I topped the pancakes with just a few extra chocolate chips and some fresh banana slices.

I also did make the cinnamon honey syrup that is in the recipe. I only made half of the recipe for this which was fine b/c a little of this goes a long way. The syrup was good but I didn't love it. Next time, I will omit it and just stick with a pat of butter and some good maple syrup.

My attempt at an action shot.


INGREDIENTS

Pancakes:
2 cups all-purpose flour (I used 1/2 all-purpose flour & 1/2 whole wheat flour)
1/4 cup sugar
2 tablespoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
2 eggs
1 1/2 cups milk
1/4 cup vegetable oil (I used 1/2 unsweetened applesauce & 1/2 veg. oil)
1/2 cup miniature chocolate chips (I used regular size semi-sweet chips)

Cinnamon Honey Syrup:
1 cup honey
1/2 cup butter or margarine, cubed
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon

In a bowl, combine the flour, sugar, baking powder and salt. Combine eggs, milk and oil; add to dry ingredients and mix well. Stir in chocolate chips. Pour the batter by 1/4 cupfuls onto a lightly greased hot griddle. Turn when bubbles form on top; cook until second side is golden brown. Keep warm.
Combine the syrup ingredients in a 2-cup microwave-safe bowl. Microwave, uncovered, on high until butter is melted and syrup is hot, stirring occasionally. Serve with pancakes.

No comments:

Post a Comment