Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Sesame Street Cupcakes


Sesame Street recently celebrated its 40th birthday and on Sunday we joined in the celebration at George Washington University in Washington DC.

In collaboration with the Smithsonian Discovery Theater, the executive producer of Sesame Street along with Sonya Manzano (Maria) and several of the other cast members (Elmo included)were at GW for a Q & A, book signing, and photo opportunity with fans of the show.

I decided to make these cupcakes to celebrate as well. Plus, my daughter's 2nd birthday might be Sesame Street themed, so this was the perfect chance to do a practice run. They came out pretty good overall for my first try and they were certainly yummy (I ate 3 myself :) )but next time I will make a couple of changes.

I think the eyes need to be bigger on all the characters. Instead of mini cookies for Cookie Monster, I'll use a regular size one. Also, my Big Bird looks a little demented to me. He will need the most work. Hopefully, if I play around a bit more with the piping tips, I can give him a more feathered look.

I won't post a recipe for these b/c I just used a boxed devil's food cake mix (made a bit tastier by subing buttermilk for water) and homemade buttercream (I'll post the recipe soon). The eyes and Elmo's nose were made with fondant and mini Chips Ahoy were used for Cookie Monster.

My favorite.

I piped the frosting 2 different ways. Which do you think looks best?


Here are some pictures of our fun day.

Family picture with the real Zoe, Elmo & Abby.
The Sesame Street cast: Leslie Carrara-Rudolph (Abby Caddaby),Sonia Manzano (Maria),Fran Brill (Prairie Dawn & Zoe) Kevin Clash (Elmo), Karen Fowler (Executive Producer)
Maria and Maria

My little girl wearing her brother's hand-me-down Elmo shirt.

Coloring a picture of Elmo.

My son, pretending to give a speech at the GW podium.

The kids exploring GW.

1 comment:

  1. WOW I'm attempted to make these right now :) Thanks for the INSPIRATION!!

    ReplyDelete