Friday, January 22, 2010

Pizza Sauce


My family loves pizza. I usually make it about 3-4 times a month and for the longest time, I was using jarred pizza sauce. To tell you the truth, I never really liked it. So one day, I decided to make my own sauce and since then I have not bought another jar from the grocery store.

This sauce is so easy to make. It only takes about 20 minutes from start to finish. The hardest part is mincing the garlic...and we know that's not really hard. This recipe makes about 1 1/4 cups, which is just enough for two large pizza pies. I usually only make one pie at a time and freeze the remaining sauce for later use. However, if you need more sauce, just use a 28oz can of crushed tomatos and double the rest of the ingredients.

Ingredients:
Makes about 1 1/4 cups of sauce.

15 oz. can crushed tomatoes
2 cloves of garlic, finely minced
1 tbsp. + 1 tsp. olive oil
1/2 tsp. dried basil
1/2 tsp. dried oregano
1/4 tsp. onion powder
1/4 tsp. crushed red pepper flakes
1/4 tsp. sugar
1/4 tsp. salt or to taste

In a medium saucepan, over medium heat add the oil. Then add the garlic and cook till fragrant (about 30 seconds). Add the rest of the ingredients and bring to a gently boil, then reduce the heat to low. Cover and cook for 15-18 minutes. Once finished cooking, remove from the heat and let cool.

Store extra sauce in an air-tight container in the refrigerator or freezer.


Source: Chef Mommy's Kitchen

3 comments:

  1. This is a great recipe! So easy and tastes great. Thanks!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I made this sauce and pizza margherita for a party last night and everyone loved it! I'll be making it again!

    -tj

    ReplyDelete