Tuesday, June 15, 2010

POM Triple Berry Smoothie


Recently, the good people at POM Wonderful contacted me about sampling their product. I said sure...believe it or not, I had never tried pomegranate juice before. I was used to seeing those adorable POM bottles at my grocery store but never actually bought one. I just wasn't sure I would like how it tasted.

So, once my box of POM Wonderful juice arrived, I dived right in and gave it a try. The verdict...I didn't really like it "straight up". It was just too tart for me. I was bummed:( I really wanted to love it. Especially since pomegranate juice is loaded with antioxidants. I could certainly use the little health kick.

However, all was not lost. I quickly discovered that pomegranate juice is perfect for cooking. Just check out the POM Wonderful website for a ton of yummy and healthy recipes.

One of the first things I made was this smoothie. My son just had his tonsils and adenoids removed 2 weeks ago and he needed a break from all the ice cream he's (we) have been eating. This smoothie fit the bill perfectly. It was cool and totally refreshing. The slight tart taste of the pomegranate juice pairs really well with the sweeter strawberries and blackberries. We loved these and I've made it several times already. I've still got a bottle or two left of POM and will definitely be trying it in some other recipes soon.

Ingredients
Makes 2 servings.

6-7 ice cubes
6 ounces vanilla low fat yogurt (I like Dannon)
1/2 cup POM pomegranate juice
1/2 cup fresh or frozen strawberries, hulled
1/2 cup fresh or frozen blackberries
1 Tbsp sugar

Directions
Add all ingredients to blender and puree until smooth. Pour into glasses and serve immediately.

Source: Chef Mommy, inspired by POM WONDERFUL

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like a taste sensation :) I love smoothies, looks like I need to buy a cute lil bottle of POM too :)

    ReplyDelete