Thursday, September 16, 2010

White Pizza with Broccoli & Mushrooms


I recently discovered this great cooking blog called Culinary Covers. The author takes recipes that grace the cover of magazines and books and recreates them at home. Then she shares her tips plus if she thought the dish deserved the honor of being on the cover...pretty neat, huh?

While I was looking through the site, I came across a picture of this delicious pizza. I read over the list of ingredients (very simple) and read over her comments (she gave it a big thumbs up). I knew I had to add it to our weekly menu.


This pizza really did turn out great and I would definitely made it again. The creamy white sauce was a nice change from our usual tomato and I loved the fact that it had fresh broccoli and mushrooms. This one is a keeper!!


Ingredients:

2 Tbsp. nonhydrogenated margarine or butter, divided (I used butter)
6 ounces mushrooms, sliced (2 cups)
8 ounces broccoli florets (3 cups)
1 Tbsp. all-purpose flour
1 cup low fat milk (I used 2%)
2 cloves garlic, minced (2 tsp.)
1/4 tsp. salt
1/2 cup shredded mozzarella, divided
1/4 cup grated Parmesan, divided
1 (13.8 ounce) package refrigerated pizza dough (I used homemade)

Directions:

1. Place pizza stone or baking sheet in center of oven, and heat to 425 degrees F.
2. Melt 1 1/2 tsp. margarine in skillet over medium-high heat. Add mushrooms and cook 4 to 7 minutes, or until beginning to brown, stirring frequently. Add broccoli and 1/3 cup water. Cover tightly, and steam broccoli in skillet 3 to 4 minutes, or until tender.
3. Meanwhile, heat remaining 1 1/2 Tbsp. margarine in saucepan over medium-high heat. Add flour, and cook 2 minutes, or until pale golden, stirring constantly. Stir in milk, garlic and salt. Cook 3 to 4 minutes, or until mixture thickens and begins to boil, stirring constantly. Remove from heat. Stir in 1/4 cup mozzarella and 2 Tbsp. Parmesan until sauce is smooth and cheese is melted.
4. Shape pizza dough according to package directions. Remove pizza stone from oven, and place dough on hot stone.
5. Spread white sauce over dough to within 1/2-inch of edge, and top with broccoli mixture. Sprinkle remaining mozzarella and Parmesan over top. Return to oven, and bake 18 to 20 minutes, or until edges of pizza are golden and center is hot and bubbly. Cool slightly before slicing and serving.

WW Points= 6 (per slice, pie yields 6 slices)

Source: Culinary Covers, originally from Vegetarian Times, April 2010

2 comments:

  1. its so pretty! I think I'll be adding it to my weekly menu, too :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mmmm, this looks super tasty. I think it'll be perfect for a Friday night dinner :)!

    ReplyDelete