Friday, March 11, 2011

Baked Chicken with Mushroom Sauce


Earlier in the week, I really wanted to make baked chicken with some sort of a mushroom sauce. I started searching online but was dissapointed to find almost all the recipes started with a can of soup:( Now, I'm OK with using a can of soup from time to time but for this recipe I really thought I could do without.

So, since I couldn't find a recipe I liked, I just made my own. It turned out just as I had hoped. This dish was so warm and inviting. The mushroom sauce was creamy and a little tangy....so good over mashed potatoes. The chicken inself was tender and flavorful. YUM!


I think this dish is nice enough to serve to company and it comes together relativly quickly too. I served this with mashed potatoes and green beans but it would would also be perfect over egg noodles.

Ingredients:

4 boneless skinless chicken breast halves
salt
pepper
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon paprika
1/2 teaspoon of garlic salt
2 tablespoons butter
1 tablespoon of olive oil

1 tablespoon butter
4 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
1 cup chicken broth
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/8 teaspoon pepper
1/2 cup sour cream
1 tablespoon of fresh lemon juice
1/4 teaspoon of lemon zest
2 tablespoons all-purpse butter
2 tablespoons fresh parsley, chopped

Directions:

Preheat oven to 375°. Lightly, spray a 11-in. x 7-in. baking dish with cooking spray, set aside.

Flatten each chicken breast half to 1/2-in. thickness. Season chicken with salt and pepper.
Place flour, paprika and garlic powder in a resealable plastic bag; add chicken, a few pieces at a time. Seal and shake to coat.

In a large pan over med-high heat, add the butter and olive oil. Once pan is very hot, add the chicken (make sure to shake off excess flour!) and brown for 2 minutes on each both side. Transfer to the baking dish.

In the same skillet, add the rest of the butter and saute mushrooms for about 3 minutes.

Meanwhile, in a seperate bowl combine the broth,sour cream, lemon juice, lemon zest, 2 Tbsp flour, salt and pepper, whisk to combine. Add the mixture to the saute pan with the mushrooms and stir to combine. Cook the mushroom mixture for 2-3 minutes or until the sauce thickens slightley.

Then add the mushroom mixture to the top of the chicken and bake, uncovered, at 375° for 20-30 minutes or until chicken is no longer pink. Serve with a little parsley and fresh cracked pepper on top.

Source: Chef Mommy Original

11 comments:

  1. My kind of dinner! That looks perfect. Yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I too hate using canned soups unless absolutely necessary. (for example, ask me about Al and tomato soup, if I haven't already told you the story)

    Hooray for you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. just made this recipe! it was soooo good. well done on coming up with something so yummy. will definitely make this again.

    www.winstonandwillow.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Took a while to make, but OMG, it is AMAZING! My husband loved it! The chicken just melts in your mouth! Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just made this - delicious! Thanks for sharing your recipe - I've been wanting to make this for ages without using a tin but had no idea how. :0)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cooked this tonight with homemade chicken broth and 0% fat sour cream, and a cauliflower purée : it was DIVINE. My husband asked for more! :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. Just made this and my picky toddler ate it up! It was delicious, thanks for posting. This is going into my regular rotation.

    ReplyDelete