Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Banana-Sweet Potato Brulee


Bananas and sweet potatoes, huh? OK, I know it sounds like a weird combo but trust me on this, it totally works. The banana and sweet potato are actually very complementary flavors. There is also some fresh orange juice and zest that really makes this side dish shine.

This is definitely a Thanksgiving day worthy recipe but I decided to make it one night last week for dinner. I am not a huge fan of sweet potatoes myself but in order to keep my kids eating their veggies, I can't limit them to just my tastes. Of course, I still wanted to enjoy this myself and hence came the idea to brulee the top.


The caramelized sugar on top gives this dish a nice textural touch and an excuse to use that creme brulee torch again!


My mix-and-match dinner: a store bought rotisserie chicken and made from scratch banana-sweet potato brulee.

Ingredients

2-3 (med-large) sweet potatoes, peeled and cut into chunks
1/4 stick unsalted butter
1 banana, sliced
1/2 orange, zested and juiced
1/3 cup heavy cream
1/2 cup brown sugar
pinch grated nutmeg
Salt and pepper
turbinado sugar

Directions:

Preheat oven to 375 degrees. Set aside 4 ramekins.

Boil potatoes until tender, drain and reserve.

In another pot over medium heat, add butter and bananas to the pot. Cook bananas 3-5 minutes and add the orange juice, zest, potatoes cream, nutmeg and sugar. Mash potatoes, banana, and other ingredients together until well combined. Season with , salt, pepper to your taste. Mash to combine spices and spoon into the ramekins.

Bake for 10 minutes. Remove from oven and sprinkle the tops with 1-2 tablespoons of turbniado sugar. Using a creme brulee torch or your broiler (watch carefully!) caramelize the top. serve and enjoy!

Source: Inspired by Rachel Ray

No comments:

Post a Comment